Who is Responsible for Your Gas Meter?

Who is responsible if a meter is faulty, needs replacing, moving? Why they take so much time and why you’re bounced around so much? Who do you call, or email who do you talk to and why?

If you are:

  • are building a new property or business premises;
  • have moved to a new property and the gas doesn’t work; or
  • want to move your energy meter.

You may want to get a property connected to a new gas supply, or want to alter the connection to the mains.

To do this you can contact your local distribution network operator (DNO). DNOs are the companies that own and operate the infrastructure that delivers gas to your property. You can find out who your DNO is, and how to contact them, by entering your postcode on the Energy Networks Association’s postcode search tool.

If you don’t already know who your supplier is you can find them by clicking this link, or alternatively calling 0870 608 1524. This number will cost you 7p per minute to call.

If you do not already know your Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN) is the unique identifier for your gas supply point. If you do not have a gas meter yet or don’t know what your MPRN is you can find it by following this link. Or alternatively calling 0870 608 1524. This number will cost you 7p per minute to call.

Moving your Gas Meter

It is illegal to try to move your gas meter yourself. If you’re moving your gas meter, you will have to call your energy provider to do it for you. Check if your energy supplier can move your meter

Contact your supplier and tell them you want to have your meter moved. They’ll tell you if they can do the work. This depends on:

  • where your meter is now
  • how far you want to move it
  • the type of connector if it’s a gas meter
  • why you want to move it

Accepted reasons for moving your meter are usually something like:

  • finding it difficult to read or access your meter
  • doing building work
  • you are a priority customer.
  • This means you are:
  1. a pensioner
  2. suffering from a long-term illness
  3. disabled
  4. on your supplier’s Priority Services Register)
How far are you moving it?ConditionsWhat you needHow much will it cost
15cm or lessThe meter is inside your property
There’s enough room on the backboard
The meter tails are long enough
You don’t need any changes to your electricity supply
Your MPRN number – you’ll find this on your bill.Usually, free
90cm or lessYou’re moving the meter 90cm or less
It is inside your property
The full address of the property
The property owner’s name and telephone number
Your MPRN number – you’ll find this on your bill
Details of how far you’re moving the meter
Not free
Less than 3 metersIt can take up to 10 days after you are visited by your energy provider for them to let you know whether they can do the work.
You might also need to get some work done by your local distribution company.
A new backboard to be fitted.
You will also need to get a qualified electrician to replace the meter tails with longer ones.
Not free
More than 3 metersIf you want to move your meter more than 3m, your local distribution company will need to move your mains supply.
Your energy provider can then move the electricity meter itself.
This also applies if you want to relocate the meter to a different wall, the other side of the same wall or a different room.
You’ll need your MPAN number
The details of your property
 Not free

Your MPAN (Meter Point Administration Number) and your MPRN (Meter Point Reference Number) are unique numbers assigned to your electricity and gas supplies. Your MPAN and your MPRN should appear on your energy bill.

Only your current supplier can move your meter. This means if you want another supplier to do it you have to switch your supply to them first. This will change your prices for gas and electricity, so check that it’s worth it overall before you switch.

If your energy supplier can’t move your meter you must contact your local electricity distributor and gas transporter to do the work. You will still need a registered electrician or gas engineer to do other work – for example, preparatory digging, fitting a meter box or reconnecting your supply inside your home. 

If your gas meter is faulty

If your gas meter is faulty then you should arrange to have it examined. The examiner will send you a certificate telling you if the meter is faulty or not. If it’s faulty, your supplier should replace it. They should also refund you any money they owe you as a result of the fault, for example extra money you paid on a bill. You might be able to claim compensation too – ask your supplier. If it’s not faulty, you could have to pay for the cost of the test. You should take a meter reading before this to avoid disputes over how much this should cost you.

If there is a fault with your meter then your energy supplier is responsible for fixing it. Meter faults are rare. If you’re a renting tenant and your landlord pays the energy bills, tell them you think the meter might be faulty. They will be responsible for contacting the energy supplier and sorting out the issue. But there could be a sign there is a problem with your meter if: 

  • you’re paying more than usual
  • you get a bill you weren’t expecting
  • your prepayment meter is showing an error message

If you have a prepayment meter and if the screen is blank or showing a message such as ‘error’, ‘call help’ or ‘battery’, there’s probably a fault with the meter. Tell your supplier straight away or you could be left with no energy.

They must send someone out to repair or replace the meter within:

  • 3 hours on a working day (Monday to Friday except bank holidays)
  • 4 hours on a non-working day

The supplier doesn’t have to send someone out if they can fix the problem remotely – but they have to do this within the same time. If you need to top up your meter while you’re waiting for your supplier, they are required to provide you with replacement tokens. If your supplier doesn’t take appropriate action within the time they should then they must pay you £30 compensation within 10 working days. If they don’t pay you within this time then they have to pay an extra £30 for the delay.

If you have a credit meter then you can carry out these checks to see if your meter is faulty:

switch off all the appliances in your home including any pilot lights

  • check if the numbers on the meter’s display are still moving
  • If the meter stops, turn on 1 appliance at a time and check the meter. If the meter starts to move very quickly, the appliance could be faulty.
  • If the meter is still moving, it’s probably faulty. If it’s a gas meter, you might have a gas leak – report it immediately to the National Grid Gas Emergency line on 0800 111 999.

You should contact your supplier to investigate the problem with your meter. They can arrange for it to be tested. After it’s been tested they should send you a letter explaining:

  • what they’ve done to investigate the problem
  • what they’ll do to fix it 
  • how long it’ll take

If your supplier doesn’t do this within 5 working days they have to pay you £30 compensation. They must do this within 10 working days. If they don’t pay you on time they have to pay you an extra £30 for the delay. If your supplier finds that it’s not faulty, they might ask you to pay a fee.